We are committed to respecting your privacy. Because facts about a person’s health, health interests and healthcare are private and sensitive, we know that you may have concerns about sharing information with us.
We urge all users of our Canada website located at http://www.biogen.ca (the “Site”) to read this Privacy and Data Protection Policy to learn more about the policies and practices that we have developed to safeguard personal information, and to better understand our relationships with the third parties who may have access to this information.
This policy explains how Biogen manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose from your interaction with us and through the use of our local website for Canada located at http://www.biogen.ca. This policy also sets out details about how to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information.
Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion.
Collection of personal information by Biogen
To the extent required by the applicable Privacy Laws:
- Biogen will not collect personal information about you unless that information is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
- Biogen will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner.
- When Biogen collects personal information directly from you, we will take reasonable steps at or before the time of collection to ensure that you are aware of certain key matters, such as the purposes for which we are collecting the information, the organisations (or types of organisations) to which we would normally disclose information of that kind, the fact that you are able to access the information and how to contact us. For example where personal information is collected on a form, we will generally include a statement on the form that sets out these details.
- Biogen will collect your personal information directly from you where it is reasonable and practicable to do so. Where Biogen collects information about you from a third party, we will still take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the details set out above.
Information that you voluntarily provide
Biogen constructs websites so that you may visit and review information about products and services we offer. If you register to use Biogen features and services, we will collect personally identifying information from you. Personally identifying information is information such as name, address telephone number and email address that could be used to contact you.
Information that is routinely collected by our site technology
When you connect to the Internet your computer is automatically assigned an “Internet Protocol” (IP) address which is effectively your address on the World Wide Web whilst you are connected. An IP address is a set of numbers that is automatically created and assigned to your log-in session. Other computers also connect to the World Wide Web can automatically identify your computer by the IP address assigned to it during your session online. We may need to collect IP addresses for technical reasons, essentially to determine if our site is working efficiently and properly. We do not collect IP addresses for the purposes of being able to identify individuals and we do not keep any such records.
Our website may use “cookies” from time to time. Cookies are small files containing data that are sent by the computers servers we use to host our website to your computer. These small files are stored in your computer in a specific folder where your Internet browser saves cookie files. These files will enable World Wide Web sites to store small bits of information on your computer and retrieve that information at a later time. This helps speed up the browsing experience but are not used to determine the personal identity of the website visitor. It is possible for you to deactivate your Internet browser’s acceptance of cookies.
Use and disclosure of personal information by Biogen
Biogen will only use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”) where:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that Biogen would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorized by or under applicable law; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by the applicable Privacy Laws (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
Data quality and security
To the extent required by the Privacy Laws, Biogen will take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure; and
- where permitted by law, destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Laws.
Biogen will generally provide individuals with the option of not identifying themselves when entering transactions when it is lawful and practicable to do so. However, we will not always be able to do this. In most cases if you do not provide personal information, Biogen may not be able to provide services or information to you.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If Biogen transfers your personal information outside of Canada, for example to provide it to our parent company in Massachusetts, USA or to our operations in Europe, we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Laws that relate to transborder data flows.
Access and correction of your personal information
Please contact Biogen if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. Biogen will generally provide you with access to your personal information if practicable and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information about you which is inaccurate or out of date. In some circumstances, Biogen may not permit access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information, in which cases we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
If you have any queries about the personal information that Biogen holds about you or the way we handle that personal information, please contact:
The Privacy Officer, Biogen Canada Inc.
90 Burnhamthorpe Road West, Suite 1100, Mississauga, ON, Canada L5B 3C3
firstname.lastname@example.org subject: Privacy Officer
If you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Biogen, please contact The Privacy Officer, whose contact details appear above.